Monday, February 27, 2006

. . .

Image hosting by Photobucket

I loathe the idea of going back to school. I just think of the idea of being back in class and a wave of disgust just washes over me. I feel angry, bitter, sad, scared, all at the same time. My classes feel very cold; there's no sense of familiarity that I get. No sensation that people are there who are going to be happy to see me, no one who'd miss me when I'd be gone, no one to ask me, "Hey, where were you last class?". I took that for granted back when I had that. God how I miss it. I miss how Jeenat, Isadora and Sayma would smile when they'd see me. I wouldn't worry about being late for class; they'd have a seat saved up for me. And vice versa, of course.

Image hosting by Photobucket

It's a simple fact that there's something along the lines of a 3:1 ratio of women to men in Arts and Science at U of T. So, the majority of the people in my classes are, well, female. And I can't talk to a single one of them. And it's certainly not for lack of trying. I mean, what else are you supposed to do when you're trying to make conversation of some sort and they simply aren't interested in talking to you? What do you do? Or if you're talking to someone and all of a sudden she just completely blows you off for someone else who just came in?

I mean, God, it's not too much to ask, is it? Look, I'm not expecting to ask anyone out on a date. I'm not expecting life-long friendship. I'm not even expecting anything beyond the school year. Just some sort of chance to show that I'm not a bad person to socialize with.

I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow. Numb myself with lots of cups of hot chocolate, or tea or coffee or something. Anything to dull the pain of this loneliness I'm carrying.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ever thought of emailing this girl about hanging out over coffee and having mindblowing conversations?

I understand the school feeling...hard to go back...

 
At 7:01 p.m., Blogger Ctenuchid said...

I'm not talking about one person in particular; just people in my classes in general.

 
At 12:07 p.m., Blogger Alex said...

There's another simple fact: the way things are in life rarely corresponds with the way we'd have them be. Sometimes you have to let these things go.

Remember, you're not alone: I for one didn't make any friends AT ALL at UofT. So, you're ahead of me there.

Also, give people the benefit of the doubt. There could be any number of reasons why someone doesn't feel like chatting. Maybe they'd like to, but they're shy (LOTS of girls are afraid of guys, you know); maybe they're just having a bad day, and need the familiarity of a known friend to talk to, instead of an unknown peer. Maybe they need to get into a "zone" for paying attention in class. Maybe they're off in their daydream world, and don't want to leave.

My point is, try to not let it get to you.

And also, I may be wrong, but I think Naomi was referring to herself.

 
At 4:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

/topic to your blog (i do that a lot)

but i saw your letter on rose's site (http://pretty.apirlaat.net/wasp.php) and thought it was cool!

i like the discription of yourself too... very funny :)

 
At 12:55 a.m., Blogger Fyda said...

Those who feel like outsiders will act like outsiders.

I'm not entirely unsympathetic - on the contrary, I've been in more or less the same spot - but a conversation for the sake of conversation is, well, probably not a good conversation, eh?

-f

---
"I have introduced myself and you have introduced yourself... this is a good conversation."
- Katsumoto (The Last Samurai)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home