Saturday, March 05, 2005

Eureka!

Well, I finally figured it out; Katherine and Alex sent me some pointers in the right direction (thanks guys!) but by that time I'd already figured it out, thanks to a trip to Blogger's help section. It's kinda cool that you can go right into the code of your template and essentially muck around with it to your heart's content, but it would have been useful if they made it a little more explicit...like "To put in links or buttons to other websites or blogs, simply..." Instead you have to sort of stumble on it by mistake. Or maybe it really is that simple and obvious, and I'm just plain stupid. Still, it's kind of odd how LiveJournal makes it easy and intuitive, but Blogger's a little more obscure.

I also put in buttons in the sidebar; one for Team Mac OS X, and two for Mozilla Foundation projects: Firefox and Camino. I don't use Camino or Firefox that much (I mainly use them for times when Safari chokes on a website), but I do have a tremendous respect for their work and for the blood, sweat and tears that went into what are arguably some of the finest examples of open source software available. I've got the G4 and G3 optimized builds of Firefox, and, really, if only they put in Quartz rendering, native OS X interface widgets, and iApp interconnectivity, I'd be totally sold...doubly so if Camino finally gets to the 1.0 stage and overcomes some of the bugs it has. (Then again, I'm just like the other 99.9% of Mac users who've used Firefox and made much vocal brouhaha over that.)

If you're an IE user on Windows, I really can't emphasize it more; drop IE and use Firefox. It simply is the best web browser availble on the PC. Period. It's faster, more secure, and has better features. MS has been talking about IE 7 recently, but really, why stay on a buggy, insecure browser that will give you viruses and spyware and wait for MS's next version of IE (which is coming in...well, God knows when), when you can have that browser right now, as Firefox? It's a no brainer, in my opinion.

And yes, that means you, Jennie!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home